INTRODUCING SUSTAINABLE SALONS
We have FINALLY become a sustainable salon ! This means nearly everything we use in our space is recycled, including coffee cups! Our hair off cuts are used to soak up oil spills, of which there is over 100 per year in the great barrier reef. And if the hair is long enough we can donate the hair to make wigs for kids and adults with cancer.
KEY PROGRAM MESSAGES
Sustainable Salons rescues up to 95% of salon resources from landfill and finds
repurposing solutions that benefit the environment and give back to our community.
• The program has hundreds of salon members (and growing!) in the hairdressing,
beauty and pet-grooming sectors across Australia and New Zealand as part of the
journey to zero waste.
• Sustainable Salons provides all in-salon separation bins and outside collection bins to
suit the salon’s needs, and offers a fortnightly collection service directly to the salon
• Plastic packaging is sent to specialist local plastics recyclers where it’s cleaned and
made into outdoor furniture and new product packaging, keeping it in circulation and
out of our oceans!
• All aluminium, foil, colour tubes, cardboard, paper, magazines, razor blades, unwanted
tools and select disposables are sold for recycling, and the proceeds are donated to
OzHarvest and KiwiHarvest to provide meals for hungry people. A full head of foils
provides a quarter of a meal to someone in need!
• Hair clippings are collected from the salon floor and stuffed into stockings to make
Hair Booms that will help clean up oil spills along our coastlines! Hair is also
repurposed in local community gardens for composting or used in sustainable art
installations to educate the community.
• All collected ponytails 20cm or longer are distributed to charitable organisations to
create wigs for those suffering from cancer or alopecia. Sustainable Salons is the
largest donor of ponytails in the Southern Hemisphere!
• By collecting small amounts from a large salon network, Sustainable Salons is the first
company to recycle excess chemicals in the salon industry. These are pooled and sent
to chemical recycling plants where they’re neutralised and turned into recycled
water used in roadworks and construction.
• In partnership with Endeavour Foundation, Sustainable Salons is creating stronger
futures for people with a disability by providing purposeful work within our
material collection and processing streams. Supported Employees head out on the
road with trained staff members to collect resources from salons in several areas
across our network, while another team sorts and processes the materials for
For more information about Sustainable Salons, visit their website here